Monday

Food preparation and healthy eating with RA

You wake up one day and realise that how you are eating is being controlled by Rheumatoid Arthritis. 

This is not acceptable but what can you do? 

I can no longer grate vegetables or chop vegetables for very long, due to pain, so the way we eat has changed over time to a less healthy diet. It is easy to pop on a piece of toast or heat up a frozen pie but these are not healthy options especially for someone with a chronic pain disease. 

The hand and wrist have multiple small joints that work together to produce motion, including the fine motion needed to thread a needle or tie a shoelace. When the joints are affected by arthritis, activities of daily living can be difficult. Arthritis can occur in many areas of the hand and wrist and can have more than one cause. - OrthoInfo

I need to consider some healthy and easy to prepare options. This is why I eat lots of yoghurt and fruit and just grab a carrot.
This needs more thought. I am reviewing some dietary options at help immune and I will get back to you on this one. In the meantime, do you have any suggestions for easy to prepare healthy food as I have 3 growing teenagers at home?


2 comments:

Nike Amondi theautoimmunechic said...

Hello, I can empathize with your pain as I also have rheumatoid arthritis. It is true that pacing yourself is the key to managing the pain of the disease. I have realized that I need to decrease my activity when my body gives me the signal.
Some dietary guidelines I follow is to avoid gluten and other inflammatory foods.
I have listed some recipies on my blog

Yours in Good Health
Nike Amondi

http://theautoimmunechic.com/food-and-supplements/do-i-need-to-go-on-a-gluten-free-diet/

RAS said...

Thanks Nike for your sensible comments and your recipe link which I will check out now. Cheers and good health to you to.